Buying property in Germany in North Rhine-Westphalia?
This investment location with characteristics such as appreciation potential, stable value and high occupancy rates is definitely worth considering!
This is the perfect place to invest in real estate with stable value and a good return.
As Germany’s economic powerhouse, this densely populated and economically prosperous region offers unique advantages for private real estate investors.
Find out below why Germany and more specifically North Rhine-Westphalia is an interesting location to park your savings in real estate…
You will also get an overview of offers of passive investment properties for sale in North Rhine-Westphalia with passive properties and a good, guaranteed return.
Table of Contents
- 1 Germany: Safe haven to park savings
- 2 Best investment locations: Buying property in Germany in North Rhine-Westphalia
- 3 North Rhine-Westphalia as an investment location for real estate investors
- 4 Additional advantages of buying property in Germany in North Rhine-Westphalia
- 4.1 Buying property in Germany in North Rhine-Westphalia to finance your retirement
- 4.2 Attractive financing opportunities for foreign investors when buying property in Germany in North Rhine-Westphalia
- 5 Focal points for investment property in North Rhine-Westphalia
- 6 Passive investment properties for sale: Buying property in Germany in North Rhine-Westphalia
- 6.1 Flats for sale in North Rhine-Westphalia with rental guarantee
- 6.1.1 Purchase flat in Gelsenkirchen for rent
- 6.1.2 Investment property for sale in Essen
- 6.1.3 Buy property in Gerolstein to let
- 6.1.4 Property for sale in Radevormwald as a buy-to-let property
- 6.1.5 Buying property in Sauerland as an investment
- 6.1.6 Buying property in Germany in North Rhine-Westphalia to let (flats)
- 6.2 Flat blocks for sale in North Rhine-Westphalia with guaranteed return
- 6.1 Flats for sale in North Rhine-Westphalia with rental guarantee
- 7 Other information about buying German real estate
Germany: Safe haven to park savings
Where somewhere in Germany can you currently invest in rental property with a nice annual net return?
This question is often asked by new property investors on the German investment market.
The German property market is increasingly becoming a kind of A-brand on the international property market.
This is quite logical as this attraction has its roots in Germany’s stable economy and its status as a safe haven.
Foreign investors in particular like Germany as a destination for parking their savings in real estate.
But of course, as in every local property market, there are certain regions and areas in Germany that offer that little bit extra in terms of yield and appreciation potential.
In other words, as a foreign investor you need to know exactly where to look for German investment property.
Germany: where rent is king!
There is no golden rule or destination in terms of location when buying property in Germany as an investment.
For your information: There is another golden rule of strategy and due diligence: Avoid German junk property!
Where should you invest in German real estate? It is a question that cannot be answered unequivocally, as the German property market is huge and diverse and is also constantly changing.
But if investing in real estate in Germany at a high yield is your goal, you will automatically end up with one specific German state: North Rhine-Westphalia (see below for more in-depth information and an overview of offers for passive investment properties with attractive yields.
Best investment locations: Buying property in Germany in North Rhine-Westphalia
To make money successfully with German investment property, you do not need to focus at all on Berlin, Munich, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Cologne (picture above) or other A cities.
For a healthy mix of rental yields and a good potential for profit at a later sale, you are better off with an underdog location in a so-called B or C city.
Not only the real estate market of A-cities is on the rise
The German property market is more than just the property market of the big A cities. Specifically, there are around 100 other German cities that are considered B or C cities.
The regions around these B and C cities also play a significant role in terms of economic support, job creation and residence for hundreds of thousands of employees, working families and pensioners.
In most cases, such a B or C location provides access to tens or even hundreds of thousands of inhabitants.
Which is therefore quite substantial in terms of the tenant market and, from a property investor’s point of view, the sales market.
Investment properties in Germany in such locations offer enormous advantages compared to the rest of Germany (and by extension also to other Western European countries).
Such German underdog locations offer investment alternatives that combine the advantages of the stable German property market with affordable property prices and attractive yields and returns.
Smaller cities and regions are exposed to less violent price fluctuations than the A cities.
Moreover, the B and C locations on the German property market offer a significantly better risk/return ratio.
This is because compared to A-locations, they either provide higher returns for the same risk, or they provide similar returns but with less risk.
What are the best investment locations in Germany?
As mentioned above, the state of North Rhine-Westphalia offers particularly interesting advantages for private property investors.
The German real estate market is, of course, much larger than North Rhine-Westphalia alone…
But this state has some unique strengths that no other region or state in Germany can boast of.
Buying property in the Ruhr area can be financially interesting as an investment.
Below you can read all about the financial benefits of buying property in Germany in North Rhine-Westphalia:
North Rhine-Westphalia as an investment location for real estate investors
North Rhine-Westphalia is the economic heart of Germany, a country that is considered the economic engine of Europe.
In other words, North Rhine-Westphalia is an extremely important economic region in Germany (and in the entire European Union).
Investing in real estate in Germany is therefore very interesting in this region.
As the economic heart of Germany, this region provides enormous employment opportunities as well as a high demand for quality housing.
And it is exactly this stable and growing demand for quality houses and flats for rent that is interesting for investors.
Germany’s economic engine
North Rhine-Westphalia is Germany’s most important economic region.
This state also acts as a magnet for foreign companies looking for a good base in Germany and Europe.
It is in North Rhine-Westphalia that you will find the beating heart of the German economy.
You should consider this state as the locomotive of Germany, the region that pulls the German cart (the skyline of Duisburg in the picture above gives you an impression of this)!
This state, perfectly located in the centre of Europe, offers investors an interesting location to grow their business.
North Rhine-Westphalia has a population of just under 18 million. This means that this state has the highest population of all 16 states in Germany.
But what particularly illustrates the importance of North Rhine-Westphalia is its contribution of more than 20% to the total German Gross Domestic Product.
Naturally, buying property in Germany in North Rhine-Westphalia then becomes very interesting.
Gigantic tenant market when buying property in Germany in North Rhine-Westphalia
Smart investors who buy German real estate as an investment primarily go for profitable properties in locations where there are enough inhabitants with high purchasing power.
A stable and high purchasing power is what you will find in North Rhine-Westphalia, as this state is the engine of the German economy.
This region is a real magnet for hard-working professionals looking for a bright future and ditto pay.
Four interesting facts about buying property in Germany in North Rhine-Westphalia as an investment:
- Düsseldorf is the capital of the state of North Rhine-Westphalia.
- No less than 160 million people live in and around Düsseldorf (within a radius of +/- 515 kilometres), which is equivalent to more than a quarter of all Europeans combined. For a company, this region is the ideal base to serve millions of customers with purchasing power including acceptable and feasible transport distances.
- 4 of the 10 largest cities in Germany are in North Rhine-Westphalia. They are the capital Düsseldorf, Cologne, Dortmund (see photo above) and Essen.
- The Rhine-Ruhr metropolitan region, the largest metropolitan area on the European continent, is also part of North Rhine-Westphalia.
In other words, North Rhine-Westphalia is the economic hotspot of Germany and Europe.
And where the economy is doing well, the property market is generally doing well too! The German real estate market is no exception, quite the contrary.
Thanks to the region’s economic activity, as many as 18 million people live in North Rhine-Westphalia.
It is the state with the largest population in Germany, which ensures a large and stable tenant base.
Fact: North Rhine-Westphalia is Germany’s fourth largest state in terms of surface area.
Huge investments from home and abroad
North Rhine-Westphalia is the base of numerous international industrial companies:
- Just under 30% of all foreign investment in Germany takes place in North Rhine-Westphalia.
- Almost 20 000 international companies have already established themselves in this state.
Thousands of smaller companies are also active there, often as market leaders or leading companies in their sector or niche.
As many as 25% of all market leaders in all sectors in Germany are headquartered in North Rhine-Westphalia.
What’s more, 40% of the largest German companies (based on turnover) are located in this state. Think, for example, of companies such as Deutsche Post, Henkel, Bayer, Deutsche Telekom and Bertelsmann.
Investing in real estate in Germany in North Rhine-Westphalia means that you can also rent to the thousands of expats and Germans who work there at an attractive and market-based salary.
Modern infrastructure in North Rhine-Westphalia
North Rhine-Westphalia is blessed with an excellent infrastructure, which immediately explains why this state is so popular with both domestic and foreign companies.
In addition, as many as 6 airports are operational in North Rhine-Westphalia.
And in terms of land transport, too, this state is extremely well equipped. The state of North Rhine-Westphalia is also blessed with the densest rail and road network in Germany.
Knowledge hub in Germany
The knowledge economy is in full swing and research and development and technological innovation are of great importance to North Rhine-Westphalia.
More than 100 technology centres and research institutes are located in North Rhine-Westphalia.
This means that this state offers fantastic opportunities in terms of knowledge sharing and technology development.
In terms of education and higher education, too, this state is in a lonely and unseen position.
Every year, almost 800 000 students study in the institutions of higher education.
North Rhine-Westphalia’s status as a centre of excellence is enormously attractive for companies from all sectors.
This ensures that they can recruit and employ well-qualified workers locally, often in the digital economy.
Investing in German real estate in North Rhine-Westphalia therefore means taking advantage of the local knowledge economy!
Popular with digital companies
North Rhine-Westphalia is a state that does everything in its power to attract foreign companies.
This state currently surpasses all other states in terms of the number of established digital companies.
On top of this, there is an innovative culture, which means that North Rhine-Westphalia itself is also taking active steps to digitalise everything as much as possible.
Innovation and technology are embraced and efforts are made to integrate them into the entire value chain.
This offers numerous opportunities for digitally oriented companies.
Additional advantages of buying property in Germany in North Rhine-Westphalia
Buying property in Germany in North Rhine-Westphalia to finance your retirement
Germany is currently one of the only countries in Europe where all of the key factors for successful real estate investment [AVAILABLE SOON] are present, whether or not with financial leverage (see below).
Successful investing money in real estate [AVAILABLE SOON] in Germany means the following:
- Claiming realistic long-term capital growth
- Earn an annual positive cash surplus after deducting all costs (cash flow positive investment)
- Optional if you are partly financing with a loan: An increase in the value of the equity you have invested by allowing the tenant to repay the loan (you use the rental income to repay the loan charges). In the long run, you are 100% owner of the property, with a limited equity stake at the beginning of the investment process.
In most other countries in Europe, the above three features are never, ever, available or accessible to private investors together.
As you can see, this kind of German investment property is perfect for people who want to invest in value property [AVAILABLE SOON] and who also want to respect the rules of defensive property investment [AVAILABLE SOON] .
Investment properties in Germany can help finance your old age!
The residential property market is extremely stable and can really add value to your personal pension plan!
Would you like more information on how to use real estate as a form of pension savings? Then please refer to the following pages:
- Building up your own pension with German property to let out
- Eight reasons to build up an extra pension with rental property [AVAILABLE SOON]
- Passive retirement income earning with real estate available [AVAILABLE SOON]: Points of interest
- How to save for retirement with real estate [AVAILABLE SOON] and analysis of the difference with a classic retirement savings plan
- Early retirement with property for rent [AVAILABLE SOON]: Mathematically feasible for the average person + practical example
Attractive financing opportunities for foreign investors when buying property in Germany in North Rhine-Westphalia
Buying German property to let can be done by using leverage.
This means that you, as an investor, partly finance the purchase price with a loan for a buy-to-let property [AVAILABLE SOON], which generates additional returns through the financial leverage effect [AVAILABLE SOON].
Borrowing for a buy-to-let property [AVAILABLE SOON] can offer great advantages, especially when it comes to well thought-out and smart financing [AVAILABLE SOON] that perfectly matches a financial plan tailored to your situation and desires.
Buying property in Germany in North Rhine-Westphalia with a loan
As a foreigner, you can borrow in two ways to buy a buy-to-let property in Germany.
Borrowing from a foreign bank
Are you resident and liable to tax abroad and therefore not in Germany?
Then you can borrow from your own local bank under certain conditions (payroll ratio, available collateral, age, nature and amount of income, desired duration of loan, etc.). Do not hesitate to contact us for more information.
In any case, it is important to understand that many things are possible and that it does not necessarily have to be a mortgage loan.
So don’t forget the various alternative financing methods for real estate [AVAILABLE SOON] :
- Real estate financing with an investment portfolio [AVAILABLE SOON]: How does it work?
- Lombard loan to finance property [AVAILABLE SOON] with securities portfolio as collateral
- Tailor-made loan to buy real estate [AVAILABLE SOON] with a portfolio of assets as collateral
- Frequently asked questions on customised loans [AVAILABLE SOON] for real estate financing
Borrowing from a local German bank
What many do not know is that it is also possible to borrow locally from a German bank.
This can be done by working with a local project developer who can guide you from A to Z, including tax issues and financing.
In this context, you should definitely take a look at the investment properties in North Rhine-Westphalia at the bottom of this page.
These are opportunities to invest passively in real estate, whereby it is also possible to borrow locally through a lender who takes the revenue property(ies) as collateral.
In other words, as a foreign investor you can borrow locally from a German bank to buy property to let.
As a foreign investor, you can therefore also take advantage of the attractive financing conditions offered by German banks.
The required contribution remains quite limited and you can enjoy low, fixed interest rates for a mortgage loan with a term of, for example, 10 years.
In many cases, you can maximise your returns by working with a German bank.
The reason for the local favourable conditions lies in the fact that such a German lender can take the property in question as collateral (in contrast to a foreign bank, which cannot do so with German real estate).
Investing in real estate in Germany can be done with financial leverage and without headaches or stress if you go with the right partner.
Property for sale with loan in Germany
The offer of German investment properties at the bottom of this page, for example, comes with a complete worry-free financing.
Think of tasks such as:
- Fill in the appropriate documents and application forms and deliver them to the lender
- Draw up a financial plan for the revenue property(ies)
- Negotiating loan conditions and rates with the bank (often at very favourable terms given the established working relationship between the client and the lender)
- Assisting lender’s staff with enquiries
- Being constantly on standby to collect documents, coordinate with other professionals such as the building promoter, the property manager, the notary, the bank, etc
Focal points for investment property in North Rhine-Westphalia
Buying a second home in Germany as an investment property?
Then take into account the fact that you will most likely not be living in the vicinity of the yield property(ies).
It can therefore be smart and sensible from a strategic point of view to opt for passive investment in real estate [AVAILABLE SOON].
Renting out a house in Germany can be done hands-free
Investing in real estate in Germany is possible without stress and headaches as a foreign investor.
Through an all-inclusive service package [AVAILABLE SOON] from the property developer, including rental service [AVAILABLE SOON], and possibly also including rental guarantee [AVAILABLE SOON], you can go through life as a German property owner without any worries and stress.
Take a look at the range of passive investment opportunities in North Rhine-Westphalia below.
The focus is on taking care of everything, including assistance with financial planning and financing (if desired).
A rental guarantee is also offered, which provides security in terms of annual returns!
Passive investment properties for sale: Buying property in Germany in North Rhine-Westphalia
Flats for sale in North Rhine-Westphalia with rental guarantee
Purchase flat in Gelsenkirchen for rent
- German real estate as an investment for high returns without additional risk through 3 unique guarantees. Passive real estate investment in the Ruhr area, from 41,000 Euros own contribution
Investment property for sale in Essen
- Real estate in Germany as an investment with guaranteed rental income and return! Complete passive investment property in Essen with superb appreciation potential, from 33,000 euros equity capital
Buy property in Gerolstein to let
- Buy-to-let properties in Germany for private letting including rental guarantee (5.2% net yield/year or up to 8% net yield/year with leverage)
Property for sale in Radevormwald as a buy-to-let property
- Investing in German real estate [AVAILABLE SOON] – Investment property with full rental service and collateral, at least 5.3% annual passive return
Buying property in Sauerland as an investment
- Buy German property [AVAILABLE SOON] as an investment with guaranteed rental income in Sauerland
Buying property in Germany in North Rhine-Westphalia to let (flats)
- Buying a flat in Germany as an alternative to a savings product such as a classic savings account
Flat blocks for sale in North Rhine-Westphalia with guaranteed return
Buying an apartment building in Gelsenkirchen as a buy-to-let property
- German flat block as investment [AVAILABLE SOON] with unique yield guarantee – Attractive flat block for sale in Gelsenkirchen
Buying an apartment building in Hagen as an investment
- Rental property for sale in Hagen [AVAILABLE SOON] with 10 integrated rental units and in combination with guarantees and securities (carefree passive investment in property [AVAILABLE SOON] is possible here)
Buy flat block in Waldbröl for rent with guaranteed return
- Apartment block for sale in Germany in Waldbröl with 4-year rental guarantee and 12 rental units
Purchase apartment building in Radevormwald for rental purposes
- Investment property in Germany for sale [AVAILABLE SOON] – With 4 flats for rent for which you enjoy a secure, contractually defined rental guarantee
Other information about buying German real estate
Much can be written and said about investing in German real estate.
Find out more on the following pages:
- Invest in German property [AVAILABLE SOON]: An overview of German taxes and local charges
- Practical step-by-step plan for the purchase of real estate in Germany [AVAILABLE SOON]to keep the overview
- Avoiding German junk property – Tips and advice for avoiding scammers
- German real estate can bring more return & less risk – Find out how both smaller & larger investors can benefit
- Benefits and frequently asked questions about German investment properties
- Invest in German real estate for capital protection and potential long-term added value
- Retirement income from real estate in Germany is safe thanks to 4 characteristics of some growth regions + German yielding real estate on offer is suitable for retirement income
- Germany [AVAILABLE SOON] – Stable economy with large tenant population in the European Union